What does it mean to you?


What does Australia Day and being Australian mean to you?

For me, it means:

Enjoying vegemite on toast.
Trying to get my Brasilian husband + step son (who are soon to be Australian citizens) to eat vegemite.
Understanding that a salad sandwich or burger isn't the same without beetroot.
Being able to make fun of ourselves. And cracking ourselves up over it.
Being sticky because it's crazy muggy.
Making a "pool" when I wash the dishes.
Cooking all the meat at a BBQ at the same time and all sitting and eating together.
Using one hand to eat, the other to swat away flies.
Telling all the flies to PISS OFF in your angriest tone and no one bats an eyelid.
Cringing at our sterotypes - by crikey, that flamin galah's a bloody idiot.
Being able to say cringe worthy things and laugh it off.
Telling those in the UK that yes I made it back to the Mother Country, but hey you're a bunch of fools because you sent the convicts to paradise. Bloody fools!
Being secretly proud of our deadly animals.
Not freaking out at the 1cm big spider, the massive hunstman on the wall (as long as i can see him!) or the daddy long legs in the corner.
Speaking in an "occa" accent when I feel like it.
Saying "Yeah, No i'm right thanks", when someone asks us if we want something, and knowing we mean no thanks.
The beach.
Our laid back attitude - most of the time.
Our freedom.
Our diversity.
Acceptance - on most parts by most people.
Having 2 drop kicks fighting to run the country.
West Coast Coolers.
Hills Hoists.
Paddling Pools.
The desire to wear thongs, yes thongs (not jandles or flip flops), all day every day if I could.
Being way more patriotic when I'm out of the country. 

+ + +

Oh gosh I could sit here all night and think of new things.
I'm a proud Aussie.
I'm not Aussie enough to have/ever had a holden/commodore or to enjoy VB or XXXX, or to love watching the rugby/tennis/cricket or say "yous", but Aussie enough.

Happy Australia Day!

And for those who call Australia home - respect our country, our lifestyle and our attitudes and you'll have no problems at all! You'll be right mate.

What does it mean to you?

tara louise.






Beautiful Day  – (Friday, January 27, 2012)  

Ha! That's it exactly! I might have to think about what being Australian means to me and write it down too. xx

Tara  – (Friday, January 27, 2012)  

HI Wendy.

The longer you think about it, the longer your list gets - that's what I found anyway :) x

Post a Comment

please leave me a little note...it's such a delight to find someone cares enough to comment!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP