Monday: Make. Create. Sew

Freezer Paper Stenciling WITHOUT Freezer Paper!

Strange but true. This is for those people, like me, who can't get access to freezer paper or are too stingy to buy it online! I've been searching high and low for freezer paper ever since the craze with freezer paper stencils first came about (I even looked in Brasil + South Africa while I was there). I was so excited to find this tutorial one morning before running out to work and now can't find it again (so if this is your tutorial please tell me!). Here's my version...

You will need these things:
















Your paper, baking paper and clingwrap will need to go onto your ironing board in the following order:
Iron all 3 layers down...being careful not to let your iron touch the cling wrap (unless you like peeling plastic off irons :o) ). You will see that the clingwrap has adhered to the paper and the baking paper will peel off.

Now you have freezer paper! clever huh! (I love whoever came up with this!)

Continue as per normal freezer paper stencil tutorials...


cut out your stencil or drawing..making sure you keep any pieces you need to put back in the middle.

(I got too busy and rushed doing the next few steps and forgot to take photos....sorry.)

Iron on these pieces.

Place a piece of paper, cardboard or baking paper under where you want to paint.

Mix together your fabric fixative (you don't really need fabric fixative if you don't have any) and paint.

Swipe on your paint. The last time I did this the cling wrap didnt stick too well to the fabric I chose, so I swiped from the outside in on each letter.

Leave to dry partially. Pull off paper while paint is still damp. Leave to dry completely.

When dry...cover with a tea towel or something similar and iron to set the paint, or alternatively pop in the drier for 30mins.

Then stand back and admire the final product...all without freezer paper!


(This was our 2nd anniversary wedding present I made us. Cotton pillowcases turned a bit funkier)


UPdate: I have noidea why the writing is up by the side of this photo.....it looks fine when I'm previewing it!

Post a Comment

please leave me a little note...it's such a delight to find someone cares enough to comment!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP